From Unsure to Confident



�What to do after �N� Levels?� This is a bugging question for those who are taking their �N� Levels at some point.

A few months before his �N� Level exams in 2012, Wong Jao Kuean was introduced to the Polytechnic Foundation Programme (PFP).  He was enticed to PFP because he would be able to secure a place in the course of his choice and the one-year programme would give him a solid foundation before he commenced on the actual three-year diploma course.  This would give him in an advantage over the majority who joined the polys via the �O� Level path.

�I can tell you that it isn�t easy.  Even my teachers were not in favour of skipping �O� Levels because it seems the norm to have at least an �O� Level certificate when you are out in the working world, especially for English and Maths. However, I assured my parents that I will take �O� Level English during my polytechnic years to strengthen my portfolio,� said Jao Kuean.

It can be exhausting sometimes to remain true to yourself in an environment where everyone expects you to at least have an �O� Level.  Ultimately, with support from his parents, Jao Kuean made up his mind to work hard and get into the PFP. To do so, he had to be in the top 10% of the nation-wide cohort of �N� Level student.

Jao Kuean�s main concern was adapting to the learning environment during his polytechnic years and whether the modules taught during the foundation year would really benefit him. These were laid to rest after his foundation year. Whatever he has learnt has well prepared him to understand the concepts taught in the first semester. It has also given him the much need confidence for the rest of the course.

�My first semester was a smooth start and the lecturers were friendly and approachable.  I�m especially grateful to Mr Aloysius Thong who motivated and pushed me into working hard and earning the SAS Scholarship in my second semester.  My next goal will be to further my studies in Computer Science or Big Data and Analytics after my national service,� said Jao Kuen.

He is also an active member of the NYP Canoe Sprint Club. �The sport gives me a chance to test my strength, endurance and technique.  Canoe sprint is a high endurance sports that requires a lot of commitment.  It was challenging juggling my CCA with tutorials and project works but also equally rewarding for me,� said Jao Kuen.

NYP helped Jao Kuean to break the mold.

Because We Can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Gems at NYP

10 Things Every NYP Freshman needs to know

Top 5 Ways to Ace Your EAE Application